Present Continuous in English
The present continuous, also called present progressive, is an English tense that is often used to talk about activities that take place in the present and are still happening for quite a short time.
WHEN TO USE:
1.First, we use the present continuous when talking about things that are happening at the moment of speaking:
- I'm reading at the moment.
- She is buying this red dress.
- My dog is sleeping.
2.The present continuous can be used as well in temporary situations:
- I'm watching a really great movie.
- He is bathing the dirty cat.
3.We can use it for new habits:
- My cat is eating a lot these days.
- They are swimming every morning.
- You're smoking too much.
4.We can use the present progressive when talking about future plans or arrangements:
- Anna is going to a new city next week.
- What are you doing tomorrow?
5.For something that is changing, growing, or developing:
- The children are growing up quickly
- Your English level is improving
- The weather is changing rapidly
6.Before the adverb "always":
- They are always fighting at night.
- John is rude, he is always yelling at clients.
- She is always laughing at my jokes.
HOW TO USE:
This is how the present continuous is formed in the positive with contractions:
|Positive||Positive Short Form|
|I am sleeping||I'm sleeping|
|You are sleeping||You're sleeping|
|He is sleeping||He's sleeping|
|She is sleeping||She's sleeping|
|It is sleeping||It's sleeping|
|We are sleeping||We're sleeping|
|They are sleeping||They're sleeping|
We make a negative form by adding the word 'not':
|Negative||Negative Short Form|
|I am not sleeping||I'm not sleeping|
|You are not playing||You're not playing|
|He is not reading||He's not reading|
|She is not working||She's not working|
|It is not raining||It's not raining|
|We are not cooking||We're not cooking|
|They are not listening||They're not listening|
Finally, this is how to form both, wh-questions and yes / no questions:
|Yes / No Questions||Wh Questions|
|Am I eating fruits?||Why am I eating fruits?|
|Are you studying now?||What are you studying now?|
|Is he working?||When is he working?|
|Is she doing her homework?||What is she doing?|
|Is it snowing?||Why is it snowing?|
|Are we meeting at seven?||Who are we meeting?|
|Are they traveling?||How are they traveling?|