Prepositions with examples
Prepositions are the part of English grammar which are used to indicate relationships between words within a sentence. Prepositions play different roles; in addition of linking nouns, pronouns or other words, propositions can help you talk about a certain period of time, or express a position, direction or location.
- We stay at the house every Saturday.
- Many shops don't open on Sundays.
- I will be back by 6 o’clock.
- The class doesn’t end for another hour and half.
- My grandmother grows delicious fruits in her garden.
Types of prepositions:
Generally, we can separate propositions into three types:
- Preposition of time is a preposition which allows you to talk about a certain period of time. They are often used in situations in which it’s important to indicate that something takes place at a specific time.
- Proposition of place is a preposition that is used to indicate place of something or expressing a location. There is a set of different propositions of place which can be used in multiples contexts.